Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You can't help having a purpose

Do you ever ask the question, "What is my purpose?"

Once when I was struggling with this question, I spent some time just thinking about the meaning of the word. Purpose is the reason something exists. It indicates something done "on purpose," or with intention, by design. It includes the concept of intended results, meaning there was a goal to accomplish in forming the purpose. It is also the object of the goal itself, the result of the plan, the outcome of the design. It can also be how you do something, as in doing something with determination, with purpose.

So to me, there's a lot of considerations when attempting to answer the question, "What is my purpose?" I think the question assumes an Other, a Someone Else, in charge and making things work. I mean, who are we actually asking? The fact that we're asking the question at all means to me that we're really trying to figure out who put us here in the first place, and what did that being intend for us.

It's an interesting notion—to be the outcome of my Creator's creative force, but not to be totally informed of what the plan was when I was created. And where I finally landed in all my noodling on this subject is the conviction that it's the feeling of incomplete understanding that we should actually be questioning.

Spiritual author Mary Baker Eddy writes, "Spirit, God, gathers unformed thoughts into their proper channels, and unfolds these thoughts, even as He opens the petals of a holy purpose in order that the purpose may appear." For our Creator is Spirit. And we exist as Spirit's image and likeness, so true to the original, so picture perfect, that there is no element of us that can be lacking in understanding. Being the full and perfect expression of Spirit *is* our purpose. It's Spirit's purpose in forming us. We are the result Spirit had in mind.

That infinite Spirit, flowing with infinite creative perfect gorgeous intelligent ideas, is creating us right now. We are, now, complete and finished even as we are being created. Simultaneous creation and completion of every idea, with no end or beginning. That's Spirit.

The feeling I want today then is my own conscious participation in that creative process, a feeling of unfoldment. The feeling the flower bud has as it opens, the feeling the sun has as it rises. A new day dawns, a new life springs forth. I want to feel myself as the springing forth of Spirit's conception of its own creation. I want to follow that path and experience all the wonders along the way.

My purpose then is to be the purpose of Spirit. I can't help it really, it's intentional on Spirit's part. All I can do is embrace it.


Visit SpiritOnTheJob.com.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?